Prunes are warm, sweet, heavy, and full of iron and fiber. The addition of whole grains, digestive spices, and ghee in this recipe promotes elimination and helps to release toxins from the body because of their laxative qualities, very yummy and easy to make.
8 x 8” Pyrex or baking pan
Measuring cup and spoons
Pan spray- I use coconut, but any will do
2 cups pitted prunes, chopped
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice or clove
1 teaspoon almond extract
¼ cup whole-wheat flour
¼ cup rolled oats (preferably instant or quick cooking)
¼ cup flax seed meal
¼ cup oat bran
¼ cup Jaggery (Indian sugar), coconut or palm sugar
1 teaspoon bake powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ghee
¾ cup warm water (place the ghee here and let melt)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350, use pan spray of oil to lighly coat baking pan.
2. Simmer the prunes and spices in the apple juice and 1/2 cup of water, uncovered until thick, about 30-40 minutes, add the almond extract at the end and set aside to cool down. When warm place in a food processor and make a paste, set aside.
3. Combine the flour, oats, flaxseed, bran, baking powder, sugar and salt.
4. Place the ghee in a bowl and add ¾ cup of warm water and let melt. then combine the dry ingredients and ghee-water together and make a the dough
6. Press the dough into the baking pan and bake for 20-30 minutes until slightly crisp and brown, let cool.
7. Spread the prune paste on the top of the cool dough and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour.