These macaroons are not only yummy but super balancing for Pitta and Vata, and the addition of candied ginger and cardamom makes them an excellent digestive. These can be made Vegan or not with egg replacement, and you can add chopped apricots or currants.
Non-stick cookie sheet
1 ½ cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
1 ½ cup Unsweetened chopped coconut
1/8 cup chopped appricots or or currants (optional)
6 tsp. “Egg Replacer” powder (or you can use 2 egg whites)
½ cup Coconut milk
¼-½ cup Sucanat or white sugar (depending on how sweet you like
¼ cup of crystalized candied ginger
½ tsp. cardamom, ground
½ tsp. Vanilla extract
¼ tsp. Salt
Spray release for cooking sheet pan (I like coconut spray)
1. Dice the candied ginger and/or apricots into very small dice, set aside
2. Chop 1 ½ cups of coconut into fine conssitancy
3. Measure out the coconut milk into the bowl.
4. Add the vanilla extract to above, mix.
5. Sprinkle the “Egg Replacer” onto the coconut milk, mix.
6. Add sugar and salt, cardamom and mix.
7. Fold the two types of coconut into mixture, mix thoroughly.
8. Spray the cookie sheet with the spray release.
9. Using a teaspoon, measure out the macaroons and place on the cookie sheet.
10. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until just golden on top.