Abhyanga is the Sanskrit term for the Ayurvedic oil massage. This massage therapy nourishes the seven dhatus (layers of tissues) of the body, bringing rejuvenation, groundedness, softness, and overall well-being to the doshas.
The word for oil in Sanskrit is Sneha, which translates to “love” or “affection.” The essence of all plants is its oil or pure essence. When you massage your body with oil, you are coating it with a layer of affection, as well as a healing touch. Western science supports this fact, showing that when we receive a massage, we release a cascade of feel-good hormones into our bloodstream. Research shows that massage can also decrease the stress hormone, cortisol.
Benefits of Abhyanga massage:
* Benefits the skin, produces softness, strength and color to the body
* Decreases the effects of aging and increase longevity
* Bestows good vision
* Benefits sleep patterns
* Strengthens the body’s tolerance
* Imparts tone and vigor to the dhatus (tissues) of the body
* Stimulates the internal organs of the body, increasing circulation
* Oil massage pacifies the Vata and Pitta doshas
4 views0 comments