According to Ayurveda, water is the fourth of the five elements (ether, air, fire, water, and earth) found in nature. It has the qualities of being cool, moist, heavy, flowing, smooth, soft, and gross. It represents fluidity and cohesiveness and supplies one of the most basic necessities of existence.
Ayurveda understands water in the body in five distinct ways, known as the five types of the Kapha dosha:
* Water protects the mouth and the actions of chewing while breaking down what we ingest.
* It protects the stomach against acids and aids with digestion.
* It stabilizes the flow of neurological impulses and protects the nerves and brain.
* It protects the joints from the friction of motion.
* It protects the respiratory system from the drying movement of breath.